How do I correct the information on my credit file?


If you believe an entry or entries made by a subscriber or collection agent are incorrect or invalid you need to first make every effort to resolve the matter directly with the credit provider or debt collection agency. The full name of the credit provider and debt collector will be named on your credit file.

If you have not been satisfied with the response or outcomes of the subscriber or collection agent and you feel that your issue is legitimate, then you can contact Equifax about the issue in writing.

Forward your written request to Equifax and ensure that you advise us of the steps that you have already taken to resolve the issue with the Credit provider and collection agent.

Your letter should include:

  • A request for Equifax to investigate your issue for you
  • The name(s) and contact details of the people that you have already spoken to as well as the dates of telephone calls and or meetings.
  • Any email correspondence you may have regarding the incorrect/invalid information
  • A short explanation of the issue you have in relation to the detail within your credit file so that we can investigate the matter for you

Attach all copies of payment receipts and any other relevant documentation that may assist us during our investigation process.

If you believe that some information on your credit file has not been caused by your actions and may have been caused by another individual committing fraud such as using your identification document, then you need to;

  • Promptly report the matter to the police.
  • Promptly report the matter to the fraud department of each of the credit providers involved.

When you do this, the Police and the credit providers will conduct their own investigations and notify Equifax of the outcome. Only when this step is completed by you we will be able to remove any fraudulent activity from your credit file.